Skip to content

Disaster Relief Resources

April 27, 2023

As the snow begins to thaw, damage from this winter is appearing. Below we have compiled resources that are available to our community.

Resources for Mammoth Lakes Residents & Businesses

Disaster Loan Assistance

Mono County residents, businesses and nonprofits eligible for individual assistance have a Disaster Recovery Center to visit for in-person help from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. every day except Sunday until community needs are met. This center will be located at the Mono County Civic Center: 1290 Tavern Road Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546.

The deadline for physical damage has been extended until July 20th

The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers disaster assistance through low-interest loans to businesses, nonprofit organizations, homeowners, and renters in regions affected by declared disasters. SBA also provides eligible small businesses and nonprofit organizations with working capital to help overcome the economic injury of a declared disaster.

On May 2, 2023,  Mono County was declared a Primary County.

  • Businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets. SBA can also lend additional funds to businesses and homeowners to help with the cost of improvements to protect, prevent or minimize the same type of disaster damage from occurring in the future.
  • Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property, which includes their disaster-damaged personal vehicles.

Homeowner Financial Assistance to Support Recovery & Rebuilding

On May 2, 2023, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) issued a Notice amending their original Major Disaster Declaration for California (April 3, 2023) to include Individual Assistance for Mono County and Town of Mammoth Lakes residents impacted by the 2022/23 winter season storms.

Mono County and Town of Mammoth Lakes individuals, families, or business owners impacted by the recent disaster may be eligible for financial assistance to support recovery and rebuilding.

FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial assistance and direct services to eligible individuals and households affected by a disaster who have uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs. Disaster assistance is not a substitute for insurance and cannot compensate for all losses caused by a disaster. Instead, it is intended to meet the persons basic needs and supplement disaster recovery efforts. 

The deadline for physical damage has been extended until July 20th

Federal disaster assistance may include: 

  • Temporary emergency housing or money for home repairs of primary residences. 
  • Help with medical, dental, personal property, transportation, and disaster-related moving-and-storage expenses. 
  • Long-term, low-interest disaster loans through the U.S. Small Business Administration. 

Disaster Unemployment Assistance

Disaster Unemployment Assistance is now available in Mono County. The deadline for applications is June 9, 2023.

Residents who have lost work as a result of damages from the snow and ice from the severe winter storms, the flooding, landslides and mudslides that took place in February and March may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) from the California Employment Development Department. Self-employed, unemployed and part-time workers may qualify. In addition, residents who were unable to reach their place of business because the disaster prevented their travel, or those who were scheduled to begin work, but couldn’t because of the storms, may also apply.

The Disaster Unemployment Assistance program is funded by FEMA and operated by the California Employment Development Department. To file a claim, Apply and Manage Your Claim Online ( or call 1-800-300-5616 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).

Crisis Counseling Available to California Residents Affected by Recent Storms and Flooding

Crisis-counseling services are available to Mono County residents affected by the severe storms and flooding that took place in February and March.

Survivors can call 800-985-5990, a disaster helpline sponsored by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). The helpline is free and immediately connects callers to trained and caring professionals from the nearest crisis counseling center in a nationwide network of centers.

Helpline staff members provide confidential counseling, referrals and other needed support services. Spanish-speakers can press “2” for bilingual support. Callers can also connect with counselors in more than 100 other languages via third-party interpretation services by indicating their preferred language to the responding counselor. A videophone option with direct crisis counseling and support for deaf or hard-of-hearing American Sign Language users is also available.

AltaOne Emergency Assistance Program

Due to our winter storms this year, AltaOne Federal Credit Union has activated an Emergency Assistance Program to aid those in the FEMA federal disaster areas of Inyo, Kern and Mono counties.

This program is designed to help those who live or work in the affected areas in two ways:

  • Bridge Loans up to $5,000, at reduced rates, with no payments for 90 days for affected individuals. The Bridge Loan can be used for small repairs, insurance deductibles and other needs.
  • For affected AltaOne members with existing loans, the credit union is streamlining the payment deferment process and offering late fee assistance.

Click HERE for more information 

Local Resources for Damage Repair

TOML has provided a list of local resources for damage repair. They include contacts for local snow removal contractors as well as other general contractors, engineers, designers, and building supply stores.

CalFresh Benefit Replacement

Attention CalFresh Recipients: If you have lost food due to the power outage, you may be eligible for Replacement CalFresh!

Get up to 1 month of benefits to replace lost food!

You can request replacement CalFresh benefits if your food spoiled due to:

  • Power outage lasting longer than 4
  • There was damage from a fire, flood, or
  • Utilities were shut off (for any reason).
  • Freezer or refrigerator stopped

You have up to 10 days after the food was lost to request your replacement benefits.